teamgreene: Our life after transplant

A continuation of our journey from pre-transplant to post-transplant and beyond.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Our first real set back since coming home from Duke

There is still a lot to tell about yesterday and leading up to today, but I'm going to forgo that right now and just start from being admitted. Riley had 3 seizures at home last night and one at the hospital, along with lots of vomiting. We had already been to the emergency room during the day yesterday because of fever, and we were told one of the cultures came back positive. Riley was going to be admitted until they knew more as about the cultures.

We finally got to a room around 3:30am this morning. Riley was sleeping, but did rouse a few times when they were messing with him, at which point he threw up some more. This morning, Riley was alternating between being deliriously happy and pouncing on me, to being very agitated wanting his clothes off. Riley got his morning meds and received a dose of a medication he usually only gets at night. This was to help calm him down a little, as he was literally all over the room. Riley began to relax and get sleepy. The doctors came in to tell me that the culture had come back and Riley's port was infected with a bad kind of staff infection and they want to do surgery to remove the port. While they were in the room, the nurse took Riley's blood pressure, which was a dangerous 50/20. It made me a little nervous when everyone started scurrying around, and even more so when the doctor told me if it didn't come back up after getting a saline IV, Riley would be moved to ICU. After checking it repeatedly for about an hour, it is finally back in an acceptable range.

Most likely, Riley's surgery will be scheduled for tomorrow morning and we've been told to plan for a 3 - 7 day stay in the hospital. Have I mentioned that Joel is on a cruise in Bermuda during this latest fiasco?? I don't know what I would be doing right now if it weren't for my brother, Brian, Doug and Brandy who were there through the seizures and who stayed last night at my house for awhile to make sure I don't come home to a disaster today, and Lexi, who will be taking over mommy duty right now while I go get a couple hours sleep. Not to mention all of the other friends, family and strangers who pray for Riley everyday. I can't thank you enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment