teamgreene: Our life after transplant

A continuation of our journey from pre-transplant to post-transplant and beyond.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

December 21, 2010

I wish I had a better title to this post than that, but to be honest, I really don't know exactly where this is going! I just know I have people telling me, at least on a weekly basis, they follow Riley on Carepages and since it has been so long since I posted, I thought I would give an end-of-the-year update.

Riley is doing well. He still has some compulsive "spells" and currently does not want to keep clothes on. It makes it rather difficult to take him anywhere. We are hoping this phase will pass soon. It can be very frustrating! We did end up in the emergency room December 7/8 after what started out as fever, vomiting and finally, 2 seizures. Riley had a pretty bad ear infection in his "good ear" (this would be the one that didn't have a hole in the ear drum but now does), as well as a sinus infection. After doing a nasel swap, we found out just this week that Riley still tests positive for MRSA. Although the antibiotic he is on doesn't treat MRSA, it has done a good job of clearing everything else up. Now that he is feeling better, it also seems to be helping him sleep better through the night. We have had a rough couple of months with very little sleep for anyone. There have been days Riley would get up at 2 or 3am and be up for the day, not going to bed until 8pm that night. And naps, what are those??? No matter how long Riley is up, he refuses to stop long enough to nap. In fact, he won't even sit down for fear he may just fall asleep accidentally!

Riley has had a busy fall, attending the multiple disabilities class at Apison Elementary School. He seems to enjoy being there for the most part. Joel and I have a meeting with both the physical and occupational therapists after the first of the year to get an update on Riley's progress. Also, we have a new nanny! Her name is Alicia and Riley is very happy with her! Lexi finished her nursing test and is now an LPN and has gone back into home health care. She comes and stays with us just about every weekend. She is and will always be part of the family now!

Speaking of family, many of you are not aware of the changes that have happened in our family this year. Joel and I separated at the end of May. I don't really have an answer for everything that has happened other than to say the past two years have put a tremendous strain on our relationship. Our divorce was final in October. This has been a very hard time and I am glad Riley doesn't seem to know what is going on, and he gets pretty equal time with Joel and me.

Riley and I are living in a beautiful new home we began building back in June. It is much smaller and much more manageable for both me and Riley. We have met some wonderful new neighbors that have quickly become friends. We still have our other home on the market. It is a great home for a growing family so anyone looking in Chattanooga, we are ready to sell!

As I said, Riley spends about equal time between Joel and me. He requires full attention, so it would not be possible for one person to handle without being able to switch and give each other breaks from time to time. Joel is doing well and will be traveling to Sarasota after Chrismtas to visit with the Florida Greenes, and he will be remarrying while he is there. It has definitely been a year of change.

We have no big plans for Christmas this year. It really doesn't feel like Christmas anymore without Riley being aware of the time of year. He use to get so excited and love this time of year! Every now and then, he will say "Christmas Eve", or say something about Rudolph, so maybe he does have some sense of the holidays being upon us. I am looking forward to being at home with him over the next several days. He makes me smile like no one else can!

That about brings everyone up to speed with what is going on with teamgreene. I wish all of you a very happy holiday season and joy in the new year! I will try to be a little better about posting updates in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment